Friday, October 8, 2010

WISE SAYINGS ARE NEVER OUT OF DATE.

Because I have been hearing of different situations going on in our community, I reflected on wise sayings from my grandmother, mother and myself. I passed them on to my children and grandchildren.  There are many, but I just stated very few of them.    When I finish I would like you to comment on some "sayings" that your grandparents, parents and others taught you.  

We have all heard of:
"A stitch in time saves nine!"
"If you did it right the first time you wouldn't be having to do it again."
"If you lie your nose will grow longer."

I heard my mother say those things many times.

My grandmother took a different path:
"Wash your hands till they squeak"
"One for the bird, one for the worm and one for us" (while planting her garden)
"Always give Jesus something back."  (she would take me to her church and she let me put a nickel in the offering plate that was passed.)

Words that I have said to my children:
"We don't say shut-up in our family"
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
"Your tongue can be a thing of hate or a thing of beauty."
"What would Jesus do?"

And last but not least: "If you start something, you finish it.  You see it through.  You do not quit! "
One of my children may have gone out for a school sports team and found it was not what they expected or started a project and wanted to quit in the middle of it. Or the yearly chore of picking rocks in all our fields.   By seeing things through we learn patience, integrity, people can rely on you, they can count on you, a person learns that there is always a "thick and thin" of things, etc.  Sure glad the Savior did not quit, nor Joseph, or George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abe Lincoln, or my mother.......

Now, how about you...what did you hear from your family members and what are you passing on today?
Leave a comment or email me at hisnhirz@scml.us  

Hugs to you.

Mimi's Thought for the Day:  There is wisdom in these little sayings.  Sometimes we get irritated when we hear  them over and over like: "well, if you did it right the first time, you wouldn't have to redo it."  I learned the hard way...but now I thank my mother for her wisdom.  Those sayings are like family motto's....does your family have one?  Be a fun thing to do in Family Home Evening...creating a family motto.  Have fun.

2 comments:

  1. I have several sayings in common. I think a lot of it is just plain common sense. We live in a world of quick rude comments sent quickly and retrieved slowly. I love you dear friends...as you have a kind heart. My little Nicole is one who can not stand to hear negative things said about anyone. I love being near her for that reason. I think Christ is coming soon...it is a coarse world for a tender kind heart. Love ya dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sharon for your comment. Nicole is a special...very special angel sent to you for many reasons, but you also are one who never says negative things about anyone. I am sure too that she is very much like you: kind, caring, loving, full of laughter and fun. Those are the things I cherish in you dear friend. Saying: "The apple never falls far from the tree" Meaning: Nicole is just like her sweet, beautiful mother. I love you.

    ReplyDelete