Sunday, July 10, 2011

MY HEART IS FILLED WITH..............

A couple of months ago I gave myself a challenge.  I wanted to start memorizing a scripture or two now and then.  Now when I was younger...memorizing was a breeze.  I can remember the long...very long poems that were full of verse after verse...had to be memorized in a high school subject I was taking.  I loved it.   But somewhere along the line, the gray matter quit working and was not the same brain when I was 16.

In other words..the challenge of memorizing after all these many decades is truly a challenge.  Let me put it this way...I am still not very secure that I have completely remembered the verse that I chose from the New Testament.

I am going to, of course, put it in this posting on my blog as it is a verse that truly brought me more understanding and clarity of what is being said.  I think at times we read words, but don't put the words together and ponder and think.

Luke 6:45

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Profound isn't it!!  Now since becoming familiar with that scripture, I am wondering what am I filling my heart with.  I should have started this memorizing bit a long time ago....as now just from one scripture verse I am thinking if I have developed a good treasure of the heart or have I developed an evil treasure of my heart.  When I open my mouth.....the truth will come out for all to know.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!   If  ONE scripture can do this to a person...learning, changing, thinking, evaluating, etc., ...just think what ALL the scriptures could do for a person. 

I think I close off this thought and get some sleep...I have more reading to do tomorrow.   Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. You know, THAT is a great idea. I think I'll follow your example. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of years ago I decided to memorize a scripture a week and then keep repeating them so that I would have them. I had about 10 scriptures which I had been saying to myself as I was swimming laps. One day...no kidding...all the words dumped together in a heap in the middle of my brain and I have never been able to unscramble them. They are all such good words, and phrases, I figure it is all right. I don't know for sure what caused it, but I thought at the time it was because I was trying to do two things at the same time and the rhythm of swimming did not match the rhythm of the scriptures. Who knows, but it was a funny feeling.

    ReplyDelete