Tuesday, April 27, 2010

MY MOM

I love the month of May for many reasons...flowers, May Day, Mother's Day, planting gardens, only daughter born in May....beautiful time of year.

On May Day I remember, as a child, making little paper baskets and picking flowers, hanging the basket on the front door's doorknob, knocking on the door and then running so as not to be seen. I had fun doing this for my mother year after year.

Mother's Day has always been special to me...even now while typing this I feel the tears spring up in my eyes and a lump in my throat. After my mother passed away in June of 1999 I had a difficult time...I missed her immensely. The following year Mother's Day was approaching and I happen to walk by the greeting card section to get to another section when my eyes happen to see a Mother's Day card. I lost it right there in the store. I had no mother any more. One day my stepmother wrote me and asked me if I would be her daughter. I was overcome with joy. Since that day I have had a "mom"...she gets cards, flowers, gifts, phone calls and most of all I get to send her a card that says "from your daughter on Mother's Day". I have come to love her very much although I have not been able to travel to see her.

Mother's are the core of our being. No one has loved us as our mothers did or do. One thing I miss is the unconditional love she always showed me. I hope my children will remember me for that same quality.


Mimi's Thought for the Day: A mother's love has been yours since before you were born. You were the most beautiful of babies in the entire world. You could melt her heart. She watched you grow from infant to woman. Yes so much hard work she put into your care, but she never looked at it as work but as a blessing and privilege to raise a child of Heavenly Father's. Have you written your mother a letter lately? Have you written in your journal about her? Have you found yourself doing the same things she did? Do you have a picture of her sitting out where you can see her every day? Have you told God thank you for giving you such a precious mother? Let us take time to honor these wonderful mothers of ours not only on Mother's Day but EVERY DAY.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are one of the best Mom's I know. I loved the close relationship you have always had with Julie. The unconditional love. Julie is like that too! Your sons are incredible men...Yep, you are one of the BEST MOMS I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great sentiments. I am glad your step mom has encircled you with her love. My mom was my best friend when I was growing up. Thanks for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I love the depth of emotion you write with.

    I'm a May Day lover as well! I love delivering May baskets.

    ReplyDelete