Tuesday, August 9, 2011

THINKING AGAIN!

Here it is again...the wee hours of the morning. I am thinking...thinking...thinking about my memories of when I was a little girl.

Do you ever do that?

Try it...it is fun!!

My favorite doll was one I got when I was about four years old. By the time I was 6 years old she had to be sent to the doll hospital I literally loved her to pieces and so she had to be repaired. I received her back on my 7th birthday. I was so very happy to see her, I cried! She was like my child. My mother made my doll the most beautiful wedding dress with a veil. Would you believe I still have that wedding dress tucked away in my cedar chest. The beautiful fabric is no longer white, but a very creamy color. During my first grade of school I entered her in the school fair...you remember where parents and children would come one evening in the school year and there was food, bingo, fish ponds, bean bag toss, white elephant tables and a doll contest. The prettiest doll would be voted on. I knew my doll would win. She was the most beautiful. Hands down I would win. I did not!! I could not understand why I did not win. There she stood in her elegant wedding dress and yet some other girl's doll won. I cried!! Not for me, but for my doll...she was my best friend.

Her name was Susie. Just plain Susie...but to me it was a beautiful name.

Do you have a story about your favorite toy? Take time today to think about that special toy that gave you pleasure, that became your friend, that toy that you loved like no other. Share your story. I would love to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon McConkie SandersonAugust 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM

    I had a doll named Butterball! She was just what the name implies. Chubby and cute and all mine. I was the oldest sister. I protected that doll and hid her from my little sisters. I came home from school one day and my little sister had colored her with a black magic marker. My mother threw her away. It was tragic enough that this 58 year old woman still remembers how hard that was. I still love dolls. Much more than my daughters. Perhaps that is because they have so many. If you come to my home there is a doll house with babies for my grandchildren. Oh, how those early memories shape our lives. Thank you Deanna for sweet reminders of days gone past...love you!!!

    ReplyDelete