Tuesday, March 9, 2010

BYE-BYE TREES

I couldn't believe it...but it happened. As I looked out my computer room window today, I saw my oldest son Brad pushing over my very old Locust trees...doing so with some machinery. They used to be very pretty with their mass of blossoms. We also used to have Willow trees that made a canopy over our driveway. But along came Grant County one day and changed our approach to our home, raised the road we live on to many feet higher and put in a new bridge over the large canal. The county in doing all of this took out a private lane we had, plus we had to remove an irrigation pump that gave water to these majestic trees. You know the rest of the story...the trees all died. For the last several years we have had rotten trees to look at...no leaves...no blossoms. Now they have been pushed over in a matter of a few seconds... down each tree went to be no more.

I could not help but relate it to how alike we are to trees. We grow. We spread our limbs. We establish our foundation. But there is more to our living than that. We must receive care, nutrition, and WATER...just like the trees. For the trees needed care in the sense of pruning, tending. For us it is in being nurtured, pruned and shaped and tended. For the trees it was getting the proper foods it needed to be strong, beautiful and majestic. For us it is the proper foods to keep us healthy of body, but also that we are fed spiritually to keep up our strength and grow to become all that God intended. For the trees ...they needed water...the source of life. For us...we too cannot live without water...physically we will die as the trees died. But there is also another "water"....Christ said that He is the living water. Without Him....we would have died forever.

My trees are no more, but I am here. I am determined that I will have a firm foundation and will not be easily uprooted to a different path. That I will feed myself with the scriptures and prayer and let Christ into my life and freely drink of His words.

Mimi's Thought for the Day: A tree lives on even after it has been taken down. It becomes a pulpit, a house, a cradle, a chair, etc. It keeps on giving even after it is gone from the ground. Will you leave something of yourself one day?



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR ANALOGY!!! I love to garden. I often think of all the analogies in the scriptures when it comes to nuturing a yard and garden. The pruning, casting off and nurturing remind me of our role as Mothers and now Grandmothers. I am glad Spring is coming...I love to see things grown! My 300 bulbs are peaking through the ground. I can't wait to see them bloom. I love you dear friend...have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something very sad about trees having to be taken out. It really does change the looks of things. Great analogy! This post reminds me of so many things on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete