My blog is decorated with the look of the Irish...the shamrocks, the green, etc. Do you remember as a child going to school and making sure before you left that morning that you had "green" on you. A person did not want to get pinched because they had no green on, so it was just easy to whisper, "I have green on my flowery panties or I have a little rose with green leaves on my bra." One year in junior high, many of the girls came to school with their bangs dyed green. Needless to say, they were all sent home, had to wash the green coloring out and then return to school.
Now I look at St. Patrick's Day much differently. I don't concern myself any more with the green clothes or serving green pancakes for breakfast or green jello for dinner. Uppermost in my mind is my Irish heritage. I had no idea as a teenager that I was full of Irish blood. It wasn't until I started doing genealogy that I found my Browns and Prunty's (Bronte sisters real name) came straight from Ireland in the late 1700's and became farmers, politicians, sheriffs, etc.
This March 17th, I will pause to remember my people who made it possible for me to live in this great country and that they will always know how proud I am of them and I hope one day that they will be proud of me for gathering their names for the temple and making it possible for them to live with our Father in Heaven. They have blessed our lives and it is our turn to honor and respect them. I am an Irish lass and proud of it.
Mimi's Thought for the Day: Remember history in school? Remember talking about the Revolutionary War and the Civil War? Did you know that there is a good chance that your ancestors participated if they came here before 1776 and by 1860. Check out your "tree" you might find your great, great, great, great grandpa fought to give you the freedoms you have today. Was he Irish? Was he French? Was he English? History will be much more interesting to you when you find that your people were involved in the creation of our great land. Turn your hearts to them.
I Do Now
1 week ago
OKAY...So I still have a green leaves on the pink flower on my bra!!! You are too much fun Deanna. Oh, thank heavens we haven't lost our sense of humor...maybe a little of our good sense...maybe we just realized that life is too short to sweat the small things. I am so thankful you are my friend!
ReplyDelete