I love dental floss!!!! I have the kind of teeth that are very close together and yet particles get trapped so easily. Hooray for dental floss! It gets in the grooves, the tight places, the troubled areas and takes care of the little stubborn bits that don't come out with the good old toothbrush. Dental floss is definitely a lifesaver and saves me from experiencing trouble down the road.
I got to thinking about the job it does...cleaning, freshening, finds the "troubled" areas that sometimes I know are there and sometimes not. Just a great tool.....IF YOU USE IT.
This past Tuesday I did my Visiting Teaching....always do it on the first Tuesday of the month. The lesson was on reading and studying the scriptures and becoming more familiar with them and making them a part of one's life. Since studying that message and giving it to those I visit, I have had it on my mind.
Last night..out came my dental floss to do it's thing and immediately I was struck by the thought of not only what dental floss can do for me, but what the scriptures can do for me. Why they go hand in hand.
The scriptures are my lifesaver too. They get in the troublesome areas of my heart and my mind and my life and help clean them out. After reading and studying the scriptures I feel better, refreshed and renewed. It takes just a few minutes a day, just as dental floss. Just as dental floss gets rid of "junk"...so do the scriptures. The scriptures replace my troubled thoughts and experiences with a renewal of hope, faith, courage and strength. The secret is I HAVE TO USE THEM...MAKE THEM A PART OF ME.
I will look at dental floss a whole lot differently than I ever did before!
Mimi's Thought for the Day: Carry a quarter around with you or set it by your chair or wherever you will see it every day....let this "quarter" be a reminder to you to sit down with your scriptures 15 minutes (a "quarter" of an hour) and study the word of God daily. Guaranteed to "freshen" you up.
I Do Now
1 week ago
OK, this is an amazing post. I think that you should send it to the Ensign!!!!!! I love the comparison. Funny you should make it. I floss every day and I read my scriptures every day, I will think of that comparison often. I love the quarter idea! Thanks for an uplifting thoughtful post!
ReplyDeleteHOW FUN to think of it that way Deanna! After Paul died and I felt so alone...I remember the scriptures were my lifeline. They sustained me throught the sleepless nights and made me stop and count my blessings. I love that you loved Paul too...it is something I don't share with these new people in Utah who never knew him. You soften my life Deanna. I will ever feel a closeness to you...after all Tami is our shared daughter...you are a forever dear friend. I love when you comment on my blog...makes me feel like I could reach right through the screen and give you a hug!!! Love Ya...Sahron
ReplyDelete