Then we lived on a farm for a short while and the soldiers from Camp White would march way out to the farm. My little brother and I would hang on to the picket fence gate and yell and wave to the soldiers. The soldiers always waved back at us. We liked how they sang, so strongly, their marching songs and the counting of numbers and their cadences that made us giggle. Then we were back in town when I was 5 years old. There I would sit out on the lawn and watch blimps fly overhead. I would be sent down to the little market in our block to get some butter, sugar, bacon, etc., that had all been rationed. That means we could not buy as much as we wanted, but we in our nation of the United States had to share with all and we had to make it last until we were eligible for more. We had what was called token stamps and little round tokens. The women could not buy nylons so they used a lotion made into various skin shades and they would rub this lotion onto their legs and then have a friend draw a dark line up the back of the leg to make it look like a seam that the real nylons had. I can remember my mother and grandmother tearing up strips of white cloth and then rolling those strips. I found out that they were bandages for the wounded.
I was a very happy girl. I happily skipped on the sidewalk, played "mommy" to my dolls out on the wrap-around porch, pretend wash their clothes and hang them with little tiny clothes pins and pretend ironing. I was always happy. I had no idea what was going on. My parents probably told me that there was a "war" going on, but still no comprehension as to what that truly did mean.
Now I know what it all means. Those men marching by our little farm, who saw two happy children that waved at them and showed their excitement at the "shoulders", were preparing themselves for war. I, a little blond girl in her dress (girls always wore dresses in those days) and my little dark-haired brother that was just as excited to see those brave men. I am sure many times they thought about their own children that they had left behind. Today I wonder how many "came back" to their homes and how many left their blood in France, Germany and other European countries, and also the Pacific conflicts that occurred on several islands. I wonder about my "shoulder" and if he made it back to his wife and if he was able to have a family and enjoy the rest of his life. I honor him and the marching soldiers of Camp White.
I think about my father served in Hawaii , his brother and my Uncle Charlie who served in Italy. My other Uncles: John and Ole who also were in the military. I honor them. They all came home, but many did not.
Our nation has always been in conflict with other nations and as a young girl I could not understand the "why" of it. I truly did not comprehend the sacrifice of the men and women of our nation until I was a much older adult. The older I get the more I do comprehend. Why have we been in conflict since the beginning of our great nation of the United States?
The "why" is because this nation was set aside by our Father in Heaven as a nation to be the light of the world. That it would be a nation that people from all over the world would want to flock to and become a part of. He had saved this land to one day be a land of freedom of religion, of speech, or press, of a good people who would be blessed with a nation of forests, mountains, pure water, farms, rich soil and on and on. Thank you dear soldiers who fought on the land, the sea and in the air and kept guard. Some returned home and many did not. It is because of all of them that we have all that we do.
We have freedoms that not many had in their countries. We have no dictators. We can live where we want. We can travel where we want. We can choose!!!! The same gift that our Heavenly Father gave us...the right to choose. Our "shoulders" fought for that and continue to fight for it. We are a nation of "rights" and we will fight for them...each generation taking their turn. No one likes wars. But neither do we like bondage.
I also want to remember all my ancestors who fought in all the wars since our nation began. Daniel Bennett, Joshua Smith, Gabriel Hutchings who fought in the Revolutionary War; Clark Bennett in the War of 1812 and many who served in the Civil War. I honor my cousin Nick who served in the Korean War and who retired from the U. S. Army, my brother in law Charlie who served in Vietnam, as well as my dear cousin Steven who served in Vietnam and also retired from the U. S. Army. My heart swells with pride for these good men who risked their lives for me and for the people of our country. They did not have to do it....they wanted to do it. God bless them and God bless America.
Today, as an older woman, I honor those who are fighting to protect our nation once again from those who wish to conquer and own us...our men and women of the U. S. are serving in Afghanistan and Iraq and many, many other places that cover the globe. We can sleep at night knowing we have the best of the best out in this world giving their all for us, our children and grandchildren and the future generations to come.
My heroes.

Mimi's Thought for the Day: I love to sing the hymn "Onward Christian Soldiers". I think of the soldiers who protect us as well as the soldiers who are fighting for the causes of God and Christ. I think of our missionaries who are "soldiers" too, who are spread across this world using not weapons of war like guns, tanks, planes but using the scriptures, testimonies and a desire to win hearts to God. We are all missionaries here in our little village. Wherever you are, be prepared in your thoughts, actions and deeds and you will be a Christian soldier. As the hymn says, "Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus going on before. Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe; forward into battle see his banners go!" Forgive me all who may read this long blog posting. I have a tender heart for those who have fought to keep our country free and also those who are fighting for the causes of God and Christ.
You made me remember and be thankful for our military and for our ancestors. I often think that they did it for us. Our lives are their reward. I love genealogy because it is a way of giving back a little for the huge sacrifices that have been made for us. I think about the atonement in the same way. All that is asked is that we remember and live good lives...shouldn't be hard. Thank you Deanna...Love Sharon
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful, Deanna. I am so glad you posted these memories--not only for your children, but for me. It was fun to imagine your life as a little girl.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate reading about your love and appreciation for our freedom and the men and women who help provide it.
My goodness this was good. Never apologize for the length of your posts. They need to be recorded!