Thursday, June 24, 2010

I WAITED THIRTY SIX YEARS!!!!!!

I consider myself a very patience person and if I told you I was patiently waiting for a sprinkler system to be put in my yard, you may think nothing of it. But what if I told you that I waited for 36 long years. We have a huge yard and for years I have hauled long hoses from one end to the other plus the side yards. The hoses were so long and heavy that I would have to grab the hose, fling it onto my shoulder and trudge forward and bent over like someone battling a strong wind.

My husband Ned decided it was time...perhaps that is because he has had to do the hoses this year because of some physical problems that won't let me do it any more. He, Brad and Craig have been working hard on it with the assistance of three of my grandsons...Josh, Landon and Kyle. It is up and going, with just a small section that needs to be done. Hooray! Finally!

As soon as I can I will post a picture. Our lawn is torn up, messed up and looks horrible right now. Give it some good old weed and feed and water and it will look like a million....okay a thousand...soon.

Other projects we plan to do this year is paint the house. If you have suggestions on color combinations let me know. I am thinking a soft yellow with red door and white trim and railings...shutters in white or red. Also green door would be good with same in shutters.

We had new carpet put in the basement so the bedrooms and large family room look fantastic. Now for the upstairs.

I wonder how long I will have to wait for them. A new kitchen was promised years ago but hasn't happened as yet. I am patient, but my clock is running out!!

Mimi's Thought for the Day: Just as I was starting to prepare dinner, my dear husband shut off the water at the pump house. We were having tacos and macaroni salad. Son Craig went downstairs and got 2 liters of water (so glad to have the water stored), I boiled it for 10 minutes, then cooked the pasta. How did I cool it? Good old ice cubes. Worked great. Next was taco meat..cooked it and added taco seasoning and was suppose to add a little water, but I had used the water and did not want to go downstairs. Again, threw in some ice cubes and that worked great. Then...have to wash the lettuce, tomato and celery. Hmmm. Really a problem as I could not go down those stairs...bad foot day...so I had some diet 7-up in the refrigerator, put a little in a bowl, added ice cubes and washed tomato, celery, lettuce.. I have cooked for my family for 50 years and not once have we had food poisoning but in the back of my mind I could not help but think this is not as sanitary as running water. What is my thought for the day? STORE WATER!!! IF NO WATER, USE ICE CUBES FOR COOLING AND MAKING WATER. IF YOU HAVE NONE OF THE ABOVE YOUR HUSBAND NEEDS TO TAKE YOU TO DINNER AS YOU WERE NOT WARNED THE WATER WAS GOING OFF AND YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN PREPARED! I just did not have the heart to do that to him as he had worked hard from early morning on the sprinkler system. So in the words of my wise husband I will use his saying of several decades that he made up: "Go slow. Keep cool and drink plenty of water." That's what I did...slow in cooking....kept my cool....and afterwards chewed on ice. VERY SORRY ABOUT THE LONG "THOUGHT" (STORY) BUT I HAD TO GIVE YOU A PEEK INTO MY LIFE IN THE KITCHEN.

2 comments:

  1. I love your stories. You have quite the talent for making do. I could just see you going through the steps. Congrats on the water system...you so deserve it!!! Have a great day...love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray, hooray, hooray! I'm so glad you got a sprinkling system and new carpet. We need to paint the house this summer, too. I love your color combination idea.

    I, too, loved your life in the kitchen teaching moment. In short, I'm so glad you blog.

    ReplyDelete