Saturday, July 24, 2010

PRECIOUS MEMORIES


NED'S PARENTS 50TH ANNIVERSARY
1973
Back Row: Deanna and Ned
Middle Row: Craig, Bruce and Brad
Front Row: Mark, Scott and Julie
I just had to share a picture of our family that was taken at the celebration of the 50th Wedding Anniversary of Ned's parents. I suppose, since Ned and I just celebrated our 50th, that this picture took on new meaning. I look at the clothing styles, the home haircuts by mom, the "bubble" hairstyle of me, the youthful looks of all of us.
These precious children of mine now get their haircuts from professionals. Julie quit wearing the dresses I made for her after she left elementary school. The boys still wear ties but only with white shirts and the ties are much longer. Julie wears pretty shoes with her clothes now. And Scott definitely makes sure his shirt is tucked in.
We did not have much in a material way, but we sure had a lot of love, homemade cookies every week, our children had access to the kitchen to learn to cook, the farm to learn to work and church to learn about the Gospel and about God. Life was good. We were rich in other ways.
Mimi's Thought For The Day: Each picture has a story to tell. What does your photo album say? Does it tell the story behind the picture? Does it have names of those in the picture? Dates? Places? My great grandmother Rebecca Emeline Payton Brown left a beautiful album with tintype pictures, other pictures from long gone photography studios. What a treasure. Except something is missing. I have no idea who they are. No names. No dates. No places. My thought for you and I is to take one picture a day...label it with whom, when, where and the why of the picture--that is the story that needs to be told. If the picture is you on a horse, tell how old you were, where it was taken, the horse's name, how you felt on the horse, who owed the horse, etc. Give your pictures life...one picture...one each day and you will have a treasure.

3 comments:

  1. "We did not have much in a material way, but we sure had a lot of love, homemade cookies every week, our children had access to the kitchen to learn to cook, the farm to learn to work and church to learn about the Gospel and about God."--What a great heritage you gave them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, oh Mimi. Brent and I loved looking at this picture. Brent said, "I love Bampa's side burns!" You did a great job of raising kids. I hope me and Brent can be good parents like you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT!!! We had matching hair!!! I think we still do!!! My children's favortie Christmas was the one we had NO MONEY and handmade everything. It is a tradition in our family to draw names and give handmade gifts. Both the giver and the receiver are so excited. Thanks for reminding me of how precious the SIMPLE things are in our lives. I am thankful to get to recreate with Nicole and of course our 25 Grandchildren. Oh Mercy...I so miss you dear friend...keep posting, it makes my day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete