Saturday, September 5, 2009

I Hope My Son Craig Never Finds Out

I have aged quite a bit today. I discovered that I am not the mother I used to be. Besides the physical difference from my early "mothering" days, I have found that my brain cells are dying quickly and that the signs are rapidly closing in that I am headed for the time when I forget WHO I AM!!!!!
I better explain. In the month of September we have many family birthdays. I know when they all are and I am always prepared with a gift and a personal rendition of "Happy Birthday" to them over the telephone.
Today is the first family member to start things off. Cherise, a granddaughter, turned 21 years old today. I thought of her all day long. I know that my only son-in-law has a birthday on Monday the 7th, my daughter-in-law Mindi has one on the 9th, my son Mark has one on the 14th, grandson Derek on the 15th, granddaughter Maren on the 26th. Hmmmm, seems like I have forgotten someone. Who could it be.
Craig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 3rd child and 3rd son!!!!!!! How could a mother do this. No gift for him and his birthday is tomorrow (Sunday). What am I going to do. It is night...I have a migraine. I cannot go out. Oh precious Ned comes to the rescue. He is going to a wedding reception and he will stop by good old Wal-Mart and get Craig a new sports chair for all the ball games he will be attending. Ned found him a big man's chair that holds anyone up to 300 lbs. Now Craig is tall but he doesn't need to worry about the weight thing like his mother does. So now he can reside in comfort at the football games of his only son Derek and bring his chair to our family outings.
I felt terrible when I realized that I was remembering the birthdays of everyone else but had forgot about the one having a birthday tomorrow. When he was born he was born on Labor Day! You would think that Labor Day being said over and over again would ring a bell, but my bells in the belfry are cracked!!!!!!!!
Yes, I am laughing and I hope you are too. Isn't it fun being human? Love it.

Mimi's Thought For The Day: Each day find something lovely, something sweet and above all something funny. A sense of humor gets you through the thick and thin of life.

Ask God for a hug today. He will gladly give you one. Slow down, sit quietly so you can feel it.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, I am terrible at remembering birthdays. For some reason, I really just stink at it. But, as long as you remember my birthday, everything will be okay. :)

    ReplyDelete