June 11, 1960I just wanted to share with all of you that today is the day that I have lived for. Fifty years ago Ned and I were married. I remember it as if it were yesterday. We were so young, so much in love. Of course, no one knows what the future will bring and it brought us experiences that would make anyone cry, anyone laugh and anyone learn from.
We cried when death touched our lives, when crops failed, when choices of others brought pain, when we saw our children get hurt through the actions of others. But we developed the "bouncing ball" syndrome.... get knocked down and you get right up!
We laughed heartily over the many ways we would play tricks on each other....serve blackened toast to him for his breakfast or take the little tiny pieces of splattered pancake batter in the skillet and make a stack of miniature pancakes and serve that to him for his breakfast. A trick he played on me was one time...many years ago...I saw him chewing gum. I wanted him to give me a portion of what gum was in his mouth. We came near one another and we kissed a long kiss and then he proceeded to push his gum into my mouth. I had a big smile of happiness on my face and started to chew. All of a sudden I was gagging. It wasn't gum!! It was gristle from some meat. Oh how he laughed and still laughs about it today. I learned my lesson...never trust your husband when he so willing to share. He was always doing things like that. We exercised our sense of humor many times.
We had the joy of having five sons and one daughter. We could not ask for more wonderful children. Thank you Brad, Bruce, Craig, Mark, Scott and Julie for being such choice, caring and loving children. They have made us laugh until our stomachs hurt. They have made us cry because of the heartaches to come their way. We have all survived and hopefully grown and learned many lessons.
I came from a divorced home and I always said that I would never do that to my children. I have worked hard, committed deeply and given my best to my man. He has done likewise.
Because of that commitment we have now been married 50 years and we look forward to the next milestone, always keeping in mind that we must continually make one another first in our lives and continue to show respect, kindness, tenderness and oh yes, keep those little "tricks" coming...the ones that make us so glad we married one another.
Tomorrow (Saturday) will be our day of celebration. Our children have it all planned...a day of surprises. We have kept our celebration very private...just our children (I have made their sweethearts my children too) and 18 grandchildren... about 32 of us! I will imprint on my mind the laughs, the tears, the memories of the celebration for the rest of my earthly life. I will post later and relate the day to you.
Mimi's Thought for the Day: Elizabeth Barrett Browning said it so eloquently: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth, breadth, height my soul can reach......I love thee with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life and if God chooses, I shall but love thee better after death." I have given just a part of what she had said. I hear her saying that love needs to be shown as well as spoken . And she had a glimpse of eternity....that love between a man and woman could go on and on and on and it was meant by God that they can be together.
We cried when death touched our lives, when crops failed, when choices of others brought pain, when we saw our children get hurt through the actions of others. But we developed the "bouncing ball" syndrome.... get knocked down and you get right up!
We laughed heartily over the many ways we would play tricks on each other....serve blackened toast to him for his breakfast or take the little tiny pieces of splattered pancake batter in the skillet and make a stack of miniature pancakes and serve that to him for his breakfast. A trick he played on me was one time...many years ago...I saw him chewing gum. I wanted him to give me a portion of what gum was in his mouth. We came near one another and we kissed a long kiss and then he proceeded to push his gum into my mouth. I had a big smile of happiness on my face and started to chew. All of a sudden I was gagging. It wasn't gum!! It was gristle from some meat. Oh how he laughed and still laughs about it today. I learned my lesson...never trust your husband when he so willing to share. He was always doing things like that. We exercised our sense of humor many times.
We had the joy of having five sons and one daughter. We could not ask for more wonderful children. Thank you Brad, Bruce, Craig, Mark, Scott and Julie for being such choice, caring and loving children. They have made us laugh until our stomachs hurt. They have made us cry because of the heartaches to come their way. We have all survived and hopefully grown and learned many lessons.
I came from a divorced home and I always said that I would never do that to my children. I have worked hard, committed deeply and given my best to my man. He has done likewise.
Because of that commitment we have now been married 50 years and we look forward to the next milestone, always keeping in mind that we must continually make one another first in our lives and continue to show respect, kindness, tenderness and oh yes, keep those little "tricks" coming...the ones that make us so glad we married one another.
Tomorrow (Saturday) will be our day of celebration. Our children have it all planned...a day of surprises. We have kept our celebration very private...just our children (I have made their sweethearts my children too) and 18 grandchildren... about 32 of us! I will imprint on my mind the laughs, the tears, the memories of the celebration for the rest of my earthly life. I will post later and relate the day to you.
Mimi's Thought for the Day: Elizabeth Barrett Browning said it so eloquently: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth, breadth, height my soul can reach......I love thee with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life and if God chooses, I shall but love thee better after death." I have given just a part of what she had said. I hear her saying that love needs to be shown as well as spoken . And she had a glimpse of eternity....that love between a man and woman could go on and on and on and it was meant by God that they can be together.
WE are halfway there. We just celebrated our 25th. Happy anniversary. You two are such great examples of love and dedication. I hope your party is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteOh how time flies when you are having fun! Congrats...Enjoy being with your family! Consider yourself hugged dear friend! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary! We are sad we can't be there to celebrate and see you. But, we do LOVE you!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Congrats! Congrats! 50 is a huge accomplishment. What a gift you have given your whole family with a marraige like that.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the picture. HOoray for you for learning how to add them
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on two counts. 50years! wow! Are we really that old? And posting with a picture, good job, now that wasn't so hard was it? I am happy for your marriage. I love that picture, you look so young and skinny! Hugs to you, I love your smiling face! Kathy
ReplyDelete