Tuesday, October 27, 2009

FAMILY HISTORY

Just recently three of my grandchildren...Maren, Makenna and Joshua.... went to the Temple to do baptismal work for members of our family. There were four joys experienced that day because of the unselfishness of these grandchildren who had already put in a full day of school, left right after school, made the trip to Tri-Cities, did the baptisms and confirmations and then on to their homes. Their comments to me where it was really great to be able to do family names. I knew which child was going to do what name and therefore I wrote them a personal letter and told as much as I knew about the person they were going to enter the water of baptism for. They told me that the person was more real to them and it made them feel closer to them.
I have been told that those having temple work done for them are required to be in the temple that day to witness every step of temple work: their baptism, confirmation, initiatory, priesthood confirmation, endowment, sealings. Only makes sense doesn't it. I have no doubt that our ancestors were there.

So the four "joys" I speak of are:

1. Did I ever dream that when I entered the water of baptism that one day my own grandchildren would be doing the same for themselves as well as members of the family? No, I did not. I was 15 years old and a convert and I had no idea what my decision was going to bring about...but now I see the fruits and joys of those decisions.

2. The joys that my grandchildren experienced in the temple and the anticipation of the work they were going to do for that deceased ancestor and how it would make them feel.

3. The joy that the ancestors witnessed that evening as they saw their own descendants enter into the font to perform that sacred ordinance in their behalf and then have the Priesthood of God confirm and give them the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

4. Last, but not least, the joy of our Heavenly Father as He saw these precious children of His enter the baptismal font in the Holy Temple and began the work for some of His other precious children.

What a marvelous feeling it is to be able to be of service in this most vital step of progression. I am very grateful that we have a temple so close by. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment