When I thought of a word to go with the name of the week...Thursday...it came to me immediately. I have so many treasures that what I am going to say today does not mean it is my most important treasure, but it meant something to me. Notice I said "MEANT".
Our basement was a catch-all for all the things collected over the years. One of my most choice possessions was a white Bible given to me when I was 8 years old...it was Christmas. I loved how the words in the New Testament that were spoken by Christ were written in red. I used to read that Bible again and again...always starting over in Genesis. I never got through the Bible. I would read when I was sick as I knew I would get well if I read my Bible.
I hung on to that precious Bible even after becoming LDS when I was 15. I later obtained the full set of scriptures that had the footnotes, so my beautiful white Bible got retired so to speak.
The basement needed organizing and so I found myself going through boxes of items and I made two huge boxes of KEEP and another for donating to Goodwill. I got the job done and later went to my mother's in Medford Oregon and spent 2 weeks with her. When I arrived home I went downstairs and found BOTH boxes gone!! I asked my husband and sons where my good box was that I wanted to keep. Yep...you guessed it. Someone did not listen to me as both had been taken to Goodwill.
I cried like a baby. Gone was my Bible, my scrapbook that I kept in high school that contained all my report cards from first grade to graduation; my acceptance letter to BYU in Provo; a love letter; all my corsages from the proms and the dance booklets and also many birthday cards from when I was a little girl to a high schooler. My oldest son had made an inlaid wood chess board...it too got to go to Goodwill. I had so many "Treasures" in that huge box. Looking back now I should have called Goodwill and they could put a trace on it to Spokane or wherever the local store at that time sent their donations. But beings I was gone 2 weeks I thought it would do no good.
I still get a lump in my throat when I think about it...happened back in the 1980's...but I have replaced my thoughts with: I hope someone special got the Bible and it made them feel good as it did me and now it is their treasure. I tried to think of the happiness that the box may have brought others. I have learned that "they are just things" and those "things" I could not take with me when I leave this earth. So it is important that I don't build up treasures and let my treasure be where my heart is: family, God, loving and reaching out to others.
Tell me about what you "treasure".
I Do Now
1 week ago
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, that is sooooooo sad.
ReplyDeleteI wish I'd run across that Bible or chess board, I'd snatch them up for you.